Help!- Transmission Expert Needed!

To: alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help!- Transmission Expert Needed!
From: Ron Tebo <mrtebo@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:20:32 -0600
All:

Because of a shoulder injury, an operation, and 4 months of rehab, I
just re-assembled my Series V transmission,. which I had taken apart
almost 11 months ago. Everything went smoothly, BUT... I ended up with a
small bolt left over!
I immediately:
 1) Looked over the parts blow-up in the parts manual to see if there
was any similar bolt listed. Nothing.
 2) Looked at various parts of the transmission such as the reverse
shift relay lever mount on the side of the box, and the layshaft
countershft lockplate and screw, where such a screw might be used. Nothing.
 3) Checked shifter (top cover) housing and over-drive (not taken apart)
housing for any place such a bolt might be used. Nothing again.

This is a tiny (5/8" total length, and 1/2"length from bottom of hex
head) 3/16"dia. bolt, with 1/4" of thread and 1/4" of smooth shoulder
under the head. It looks as though it was designed as a retaining bolt
for something less than 1/4" in thickness that had to rotate on the bolt.
The thread does not match any of my NC dies and I found a single nut in
my junk box (NF?) that fits it. The head is  recessed similar to some
metric bolts, and has three marks similar to grade 5 marking but
arranged like this    _l_

My bench did have several other projects in progress when I was doing
this, and it is possible this bolt came from one of them. But I would
sooner not take a chance on this, unless someone can say definitely that
this bolt did not come from my transmission! (the alternative is to tear
it down again, still with no idea where this bolt goes).

Thanks in advance for any help you can supply!

Ron Tebo