Re: [Alpines] Carburetor rebuilding in Southern California needed

To: Ed Howard <edsonh2000@yahoo.com>, List Alpine
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Carburetor rebuilding in Southern California needed
From: "jarrid_gross@earthlink.net" <jarrid_gross@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:56:26 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>I bought and installed the "carb rebuild" kit but one
>of the carb pistons is still sticking and I really
>don't have the knowedge to go further with it. The car
>does not run right unless the choke is pulled all the
>way out and then it idles too high.

Ed,

1) The piston is not likely sticking, it will be the needle in the main jet.
   This will require a "centralization procedure", which amounts to loosening
the
   main jet retainer nut, screwing the main jet all the way in, then whacking
the
   bottom of the main screw a few times, then tighten down the main jet
retainer.
   Next loosen the main jet a few turns so the needle no longer touches it.
   Do this a few times till the piston doesnt stick.  You know you have it
right when
   the piston can be lifted and dropped with your finger and it "clicks"
without binding.

2) Your idle speed may settle down once you get the needle and jet centralized,
but if not,
   it may indicate your throttle shafts are worn (a common prob with stroms).

Its tough finding a definitive constant depression expert in ANY part of the
US, let alone SoCal.
I just moved a few weeks ago to Colorado, but if I still lived in the OC, I
would have come up
and set your carbs for you.

HTH,

Jarrid Gross