[Alpines] Release bearing fork

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: [Alpines] Release bearing fork
From: <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:27:17 -0500
Hey, guys:

Here I go again...working on my Series I vintage racer.  I hate it when I do
that!!!!

I've run into yet another situation where it appears that parts from different
Series of Alpines have been combined to make one car run...my car.  If any of
you remember, I was having clutch/transmission/shifting issues.  We pulled it
all down and have discovered some mildly weak parts in the transmission that
we intend to replace.  I think we've about got the transmission problem
licked.

Today, we pulled the clutch out to have a look.  To make a long story short,
we're evidently running a Series II/III 9-spring pressure plate with an 8 1/2"
disc.  The problem is that the release bearing fork (called a "clutch
withdrawal lever" in the Rootes factory parts manual)  appears to be too tall;
i.e., it has been contacting the pressure plate.  So much so, in fact, that
not only is the pressure plate marked up by the contact, but it has worn a
groove in both the fork and the aluminum stand that the fork pins to on the
bell housing.  After looking at the factory parts manual, it is obvious that
there were several different designs for this arm.  The first three designs,
however, were superceded by one design that was in production up to the B941
cars (Series I through early Series IV), with the next design being used in
the B941 cars and up (late Series IV and Series V).  The problem is that the
pressure plates for the earlier cars up to but not including the late Series
IVs are taller than their late Series IV and Series V counterparts.  So, it
would obviously follow that the earlier cars used a shorter release bearing
fork, while the later cars used a taller release bearing fork (the reason, of
course, is the issue with clearance for the pressure plate and the relative
distance from the release bearing to the pressure plate).    I evidently have
an incorrect matchup of parts; I have the taller Series II/III 9-spring
pressure plate AND the tall (later) release bearing fork.  Hence, the
clearance issue.

Now that I just wrote a book, does anyone out there have an early fork and
fork mounting bracket that they could part with to help me out?  I really want
to run the earlier clutch as it is supposedly stronger, not to mention bigger,
than the later unit.  But, that is going to require me to find the correct
release bearing fork and bracket.  Is there anyone out there who can help me
with this?

As a bit of assistance, if anyone out there has the Rootes factory parts
manual for the Series I-IV, the parts I'm talking about show up on Plates A &
B of Section F, with the plate reference numbers for the fork being A55, B56,
B57 & B58.  The mounting brackets for the forks are listed with the plate
reference numbers of A61, B62 & B63.

If anyone out there can help me out, please contact me asap.  Maybe we can
compare notes and take a few measurements to make sure it is what I need.
Thanks very much for the any help!!!!

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK