[Alpines] Clutch compatibility

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: [Alpines] Clutch compatibility
From: <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 15:54:19 -0500
Okay, here goes...first, the condensed version (on my Series I vintage racer):

Current set-up:

Series IV 1600 motor
Series III transmission
Series V flywheel
Series V clutch disc and pressure plate (with roller release bearing)
Series V bell housing and clutch actuating arm

Problem: Prior to the restoration/rebuild of my race car, it had a complete
Series V drivetrain in it (1725 engine, Series V transmission and a Series V
clutch and bell housing). This motor was not legal for the group I run with,
but a 1600 was. Consequently, I built a Series IV 1600 and installed a Series
III close-ratio gearbox (legal in my group). However, I may have made a mistake
by retaining the 1725 flywheel, clutch set up and bell housing. Prior to doing
all of this, my clutch worked perfectly. After all the changes were made, my
clutch began releasing way at the top of the pedal throw and the transmission
started grinding to beat the band going into 2nd gear on a downshift from 3rd.

Fact: I am using the same exact clutch that I had in the Series V drivetrain,
including the roller release bearing...they were all in excellent condition.
Fact: We have the transmission out and disassembled. The synchros, bearings,
gears and shift forks appear to be in excellent condition, with the exception
of 1st gear and the reverse gear cluster (leading edge of the teeth are chewed,
which is not surprising as there is no synchro action for these gears)

No changes were made to the clutch hydraulics, other than freshening them. I'm
beginning to wonder if the cutch parts and/or bell housing and clutch actuating
arm are somehow mis-matched for my application.  Are there differences in the
bell housings and/or the clutch actuating arm between the Series of Alpines???

Given what engine/transmission/bell housing combo I have, can someone out there
educate me on what pieces I need to make this all work properly? Also, since
it's been a while since it all came apart, I've wondered if I have the slave
cylinder mounted correctly. I mounted it with the mounting ears on the rear of
the block rather than on the front. Is that correct or do I have it installed
wrong?

I'm trying my best to get the car sorted out for a race in February and any
help would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks so much,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B9006857LRX - Alpine Series I (vintage racer)
B382001600LRXFE - Tiger Mk1A