Re: [Alpines] Clutch

To: "'Paul Heuer'" <paul@heuer.id.au>
Subject: Re: [Alpines] Clutch
From: Łauri <lehtinen.lauri@kolumbus.fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:07:18 +0200
I will absolutely not put that 8.5" flywheel unit back again, as I have
270 deg cam in. Reground cam - with untrimmed Zenith-Strombergs and old
mechanical ignition - was so revolutionary change in the temper of my
car, that I must get a sensible flywheel.  I drove whole august with old
units and "by ear" settings both on ignition and carbs, but my Alpine
got "a Tiger's heart".

I have to build gearbox again, using old (short, coarse-splined)
mainsaft into a later Humber overdrive box. During this operation it is
more than rational to rebuild the clutch, too.

I have maybe a "Baby barracuda" flywheel with a good starter gear ring.
But I have to get a new assembly. I have a brand new 7.5" plate, but the
assembly I got is old and 7.25", so in my mind best way should be to get
new assembly and pressure bearing (a roller one - from what was that???)

As I am 53 years old it is possible that if I do this right it is only
my heirs that ask this again.

In case anyone knows an intake manifold for duelling Webers (I love
black powder guns) I am interested in such. I got a fresh pair from
German auction, so I have to use or recycle them.

And in case anyone have pre settings for 270 deg cam and 1725 cc engine
for Weber 40 side draught (152 generation), I am more than thankful.

Yours

Larry

Lauri Lehtinen
journalist, engineer