Ground Effects

To: jamies@mrj.com
Subject: Ground Effects
From: JD_Kemp@notes.ymp.gov
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:03:03 -0800
Jamie:

Several years ago (like 1978!!), I put a front air dam on my MGB.  The
stock front pan had gotten all dented up by a previous owner, and the
(then) new-fangled air dams looked soooo groovy.  The difference it made in
the handling was purely amazing, and since this is an MGB we're talking
about, the speeds obviously weren't all that high.  At highway speeds, I
mean 60-70 mph, the steering "feel" was much better.  The air dam seemingly
got rid of all the "floaty" feeling that used to come on as speeds got
upwards of 60.  Prior to the air dam, I felt a little chicken of going past
80 with the B.  Afterwards, I didn't have any problem kicking her all the
way up to top end, a massive 105!

Point is, as you said, a bit of an aerodynamic aid, even a basic air dam,
can have a great affect on the car, even at relatively slow speeds.

JD Kemp &
"Lucretia MacEvil" #13 MGB &
"Yet Un-named" Pale Yaller XKE  (I was reeeeely good this year, Santa brung
me a toy!)