Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Annual Tow Vehicle Question
From: ewc4@juno.com (Eric W. Clements)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 11:57:30 -0500
We have two tow vehicles (Ford F250 & GMC Safari), and I just have to add
my 2 cents to all the groaning about the minivan aspect of the
Astro/Safari piece.

When we bought the MR2, it was with the idea of towing it.  After all,
with two drivers, two kids, race tires, and other assorted race and kid
stuff, the MR2 was going to need a companion vehicle anyway for all
events (even local ones).

When we bought the MR2, it was with the idea of selling the Shelby
Charger.  After all, the MR2 is a better autocrosser, the Audi Quattro is
a better family car, and the Ford F250 is a better hauler.  So I'd give
up my little car that I bought new when I was only 19 (sniff), but hey, I
can drive the MR2 on nice days and the Audi on bad ones.

When we bought the MR2, it was with the idea of towing it with the Ford.
And then my two sons each grew four inches this year, making the regular
cab of the Ford just too small (even with its four seat belts).

So then we bought the Safari.  And we looked around and said, "SIX cars
[we also have a 1985 Shelby parts car that I didn't mention]!  This is
ridiculous."  So we're selling the Audi (because the Safari fills the
"family car" niche), and both of the Dodges.

The bottom line is that somehow I went from having a fun little black
commuter car to a breadbox on wheels.  Even worse GM, in its infinite
wisdom, saw fit to design the interior to resemble a B-movie
interpretation of an Old West bordello--red carpet, red plush seats, red
headliner, red dash, etc., etc., etc.  The only things NOT red inside
this thing are the steering wheel, the radio, and the pedals--my family
has christened the thing the VAN O'LUV.  d-8<

Mari Clements