Re: why adjust my Konis?

To: Eric Linnhoff <eric10mm@qni.com>
Subject: Re: why adjust my Konis?
From: Doug Kremer <kremer@writeme.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:51:15 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> Rudimentary basic newbie question.
>
> Why do we get adjustable shocks and struts for our autocross cars?  Don't we
> simply want to select the stiffest most bone-jarring, non body-rolling, keep
> the body flat and stable setting while on an autocross course?

not all the time, and besides, do you wanna drive all around town the week
between autoxes with the ride like that?  ( ok, Yes I do, but I turn then
down just a little bit)

> I haven't yet ordered them for my Neon but I will soon.  The Konis that I
> want are the 5(?) position rebound(?) adjustable just as delivered on the
> ACRs.  How do I adjust them for optimum performance?

they are rebound adjustable, but there are no 'stops' or positions.
Infinitely adjustable I guess.

> Should the struts be adjusted to different settings for asphalt vs. concrete
> surfaces?  How about for "fast" (big sweepers and long straights) vs. "slow"
> (curvy and technical) courses?  How about choosing front vs. rear stiffness
> settings?  Does tire selection make a difference?

yes for all :)

my preferences:  _dang_ stiff in front, and maybe 2/3 as stiff in the rear

tires do make a difference, my car is almost neutral on R1's, but darn
tail happy on my SP8000 summer tires.
( neon sedan, Eibach springs, Eibach swaybars, and the aforementioned
konis )

> Do I have to relearn a whole different "tuning" procedure for setting tire
> pressures with different strut stiffness settings?

not really that I have noticed.