Re: neon flipable

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: neon flipable
From: washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 19:52:54 -0600
Mark J. Andy wrote:

> How much time do you have to react between when you know there's a problem
> and you're on your head?
>
> How do you know there's a problem?  Particularly in a car with lots 'o
> body roll like a neon?  Is it obvious?

I have a picture of my Neon from this year's Nationals with the front
wheel off the ground about 4" on the south course.  See the article in
N.A.P. where Byron Short and his GEEZ software decribes Mark Daddios
brief two wheel adventure on the North course.  Interesting.

I recall two instance where I *knew* I was on two.  In both cases, there
was some bouncing involved immediately before hand.  As you stated,
there seems to be a tendency for these cars to bounce under certain
driver induced conditions.  You definately want to be careful when you
have experience this bounce.  In both my cases, I felt like I had plenty
of warning and I was able to straighten out a bit and let up in order to
set it back down.  (Didn't even hit any cones, although it put me into
the chalk line at Nationals, ruining my third run.)  It's not like I was
WAY up, I just felt it start to come up after the suspension had set,
and I backed out of it right away.  More of an instinctual reaction I
thought.

Beleive me, I will not hesitate a micro-second to bag a run under these
circumstances. I think most rollovers are a result of a drivers stubborn
refusal to believe the enevitable result of their current state.  You
should be able to feel it start to happen, and if you are paying
attention and you are not afraid to give it up, you should not be in any
danger.  I won't lose any sleep over it.  Good luck!

--
Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>
Wausau, WI     Land of Cheese