Dennis's hairbrained ideas

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dennis's hairbrained ideas
From: "Mac Crossett" <macross@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:23:19 -0600
Now, I've known DG for a while, and he's a friend of mine, so let me say in
his defense that sometimes that filter between the brain and the mouth (and
the typing fingers) that we all have sometimes malfunctions and causes
Dennis to just come out and say whatever's on his mind...<G>

The effort that would be required to determine what mods are allowed on
each specific car in stock class would be enormous!  In a racing league
with a small number different cars competing, then you could take a hard
look at each model of car with many different drivers and make a definitive
statement about what would and would not unbalance the field, but to
encompass the whole of Stock and/or SP class???  There would always be hurt
feelings, guys who think they got shafted.  Everyone would put forward that
their car is the underdog, deserving of a performance allowance.  A
complete and utter nightmare for SCCA officials.

 The main point in stock class is not who can build the most competitive
car.  The whole idea behind stock class is cost.  When you start allowing
modifications, that increases the expense.  Say, 2 200SX's are in the same
region.  Now, if SCCA decides that they are allowed 1" wider wheels to make
them more competitive against the Neon ACR's, and one guy goes out and gets
wider wheels, then the other guy is going to feel like he needs to buy
them, too.  It's bad enough in SP.

Here in Wichita Region, we run a Drivers Index Class (DIC).  Any car is
allowed with any modifications.  An initial index is calculated using the
PAX of the class the car would fall into, and the time at the last 3
events, relative to FTD.  It's then adjusted for each successive event.
This results in a pretty level playing field, since you end up running
against you previous performances.  Mostly, the DICs are guys (gals can be
DICs, too) who don't have any competition in their class, or who would be
uncompetitive in their class.

Mac Crossett
'96 Eagle Talon TSi AWD #49ESP
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity.