Re: Death of a wheel

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Death of a wheel
From: "Mac Crossett" <macross@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:38:48 -0600
>I had a rather lengthy discussion with a tecnical guy at American Racing
>Wheels today concerning the unfortunate offset change on the AR24 wheels
>from a Stock Class legal 35mm to the ever so slightly illegal 33mm.

>The reason they gave for the change was that they were having a lot of
>complaints about the 35mm offset wheels not clearing the grease caps on
some
>cars so they made a running change in the wheel specs and changed the
offset
>to 33mm.
Unfortunately, their little unadvertized "running change" cost 2 people
trophies at Nationals.  The car owner had no idea that they had made the
change, but at least one of their competitors found out.  Sadly, the
codriver was only in that car because of the lingering death of his own
ride.  This little side-effect probably didn't even enter the minds of the
folks at Americal Racing.

Mac Crossett
'96 Eagle Talon TSi AWD #49ESP
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity.