Re: road racers vs. autocrossers

To: lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: road racers vs. autocrossers
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 20:27:11 -0800

Pat Kelly wrote:

>     This is a nice touch, and a generous one, too. And I think should help
>the road
> racers feel like part of the region, even if they don't (do?) autocross.

That's exactly why we do it, Pat.  Otherwise, most of our members
would never see them.  Besides, they ARE members of our region and we
HAVE produced two National Champions in recent years in the form of
Bob Weber and Mike Feavel...both in H-Production.

> I take it
> they come to get their trophies. I know in our region, it's tough to get the
>trophy
> winners to come enjoy the festivities and take home their hardware. Never have
> figured that out, as these year-end award times can be the most fun, almost
>like
> "roasts," if you want. :-)

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  And when they do, they
usually sit together in a group.  While I'm making my rounds
glad-handing and schmoozing, I try to encourage some of the autoxers
to go over and infiltrate their table...introduce themselves...and
congratulate them on their season.

>     And where does the ardent rallyist rally? Is there anything happening
>around your
> area?

He usually goes wherever he can find an event within driving
distance.  He's in hog heaven right now since the Divisional Pro (or
whatever they're calling it now) is coming back to Paris, Texas, on
March 20/21.

> We had an odd event last year staged right in the middle of our territory,
>done
> by folks who live here, but belong to some distant region. I guess they
>figure our
> region doesn't love them, or something...very odd. And that was the only
>rally held
> around here that I know of in some time.--Pat K

That IS odd.  Did they invite your region to participate?  Was it an
SCCA-sanctioned rally and, if so, did they ask your region for
permission to run it in your geographical territory?

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman