Re: road racers vs. autocrossers

To: lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: road racers vs. autocrossers
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:54:12 -0800

Pat Kelly wrote:

> Not really wanting to stick my nose into regional business, but why does a
>road
> racer get a regional trophy for not participating in a local regional class?
>Or
> does your region supply workers to the road races where these drivers race?
> Seems like the region presenting the races would give the trophies to the
> winners, not the regions from where the racers come...did I miss something
>here?

Sorry, Pat.  Guess I should have been a little bit clearer in my
response.  I was talking about year-end trophies...not per-event.  For
the road racers we award year-end trophies for Driver of the Year,
Merit Award, and Worker of the Year, based on points, and Rookie of
the Year and Sportsman, based on a vote of all the road racers.
That's five trophies at less than $10 each...just like the autoxers
get for everything from individual class champions on up.

>     In our region, dues is mostly to pay for the newsletter, and a little
> towards the operation of the region's office, which includes 1.5 workers,
> overhead, etc. The racers' entry fees pay for race operating expenses, and the
> other part of the region's office.
>     The solo2 $$ go strictly to solo2; we don't use the region's office at
>all.
> Our dues is the only funding to the region itself. Part of the reason for this
> peculiar aspect is no one could ever come up with a reasonable number that
>solo2
> should pay to the region, since we do absolutely no business through it. Our
> funds are totally separate from the region's funds.
>     I should add we are a jumbo region.

Good point.  And that goes back to my original premise that larger
regions do things differently than smaller ones.  If we should ever be
lucky enough to get a road course somewhere close, the whole structure
of our region might very well change.  For now, however, we're
primarily an autocross club with about six road racers and one ardent
rallyist.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman