Re: Wheel Backspace measurement and NeOkla Region Thanks

To: "Robert & Katherine Seamon" <forestg@ionet.net>
Subject: Re: Wheel Backspace measurement and NeOkla Region Thanks
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 07:58:09 -0700
>Actually they are 5.5" wide wheels.
>Could they have a 120mm backspace and the 12 in there also means 12mm
offset?

'S'not possible (mathematically).  A 5.5" wide wheel with 122mm backspace
would have a 40mm negative offset (that is, centerline offset 40mm towards
the car).

IOW, *that* particular combination is obviously possible -- what's'not
possible is to have a 5.5" wheel with 122mm backspace AND a 12mm offset.

Think about it:  if the nominal width of the wheel is 5.5", then the
measured width of the wheel c/b 6.5" including the lip; if the backspace is
~4.75", then the centerline is clearly well over 12mm towards the car (12mm
is 1/2").  Actual negative offset would be on the order of 1" more, or
1-1'2".

Reasonable minds can disagree about whether the correct way to measure
backspace is from the rim edge or from the bead edge (which would net a
somewhat smaller backspace) but it wouldn't account for the difference.

Personally I'd go with your backspace measurement as being the correct one!
Backspace is a much more useful measurement for buying and discussing
wheels, 'cause it's almost always a negative number and so there's a lot
less confusion; and because usually what we're most concerned with is --
will it clear the suspension, and then will the wheel width clear the
fenderwells? (and offset doesn't really say much about that).

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

86 Mustang SVO-1C:  SM Class Autox
Team SVO -- "Bred to race, not show"
SVOCA Member

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan -3J (Original Owner - Restored)
On display at the San Diego Automotive Museum
12 June 1999 through 31 January 2000