Re: Wheel Backspace measurement and NeOkla Region Thanks

To: "Robert & Katherine Seamon" <forestg@ionet.net>,
Subject: Re: Wheel Backspace measurement and NeOkla Region Thanks
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 05:50:21 -0700
>I just measured the backspace on my Ford Escort GT 15" wheels and it came
>out to 120mm.(There was a circled 12 stamped on the inside of the wheel
>which seems to back up the 12cm measurement.)
>That seems really high to me.  Can this be right?

In my experience, that stamped number is offset, not backspacing.  I expect
you have 7.5" wide wheels, if you have 120mm (4.75") backspace and 12mm of
negative offset; or  9.5" wide wheels (unlikely on an Escort, yes?) if you
have 120 mm backspace and 12 mm of positive offset.

Anyhoo, if you've measured 120mm of offset, then of course it "can be right"
:)   At 4.75" backspace, you've got a dimension that's not uncommon on
Mustangs, for example (and is the backspace I'm currently running on my
SVO -- its stock backspace is 5.75").

I ran 110mm backspace on my Pinto, using Enkeis off a 4-lug Mustang in 16x7,
which wheels were stamped with an offset of 7mm (negative).  Fit very
nicely, and handled very well (first in class at one event -- now it's
headed for a museum -- today, in fact).

Hope that helps!

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

86 Mustang SVO-1C:  SM Class Autox
Team SVO -- "Bred to race, not show"
SVOCA Member

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan -3J (Original Owner - Restored)
On display at the San Diego Automotive Museum
12 June 1999 through 31 January 2000