Re: '99 Cobra Classing

To: Greg and Valerie Holden <gholden1@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: '99 Cobra Classing
From: Tommy Regan <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 22:30:25 -0700 (PDT)
Greg,

As a former DOHC Cobra owner, let me tell you that the '96+ Cobra
motors are really nice.  Not much low end torque, but coming from an
Integra you'll think you've got a big block! ;-)  Peak hp is at 6000
and it pulls relatively well up to the fuel cutoff at 7000.  In SP
trim, they can be made to really scream.

I wouldn't get a '99 personally, however.  Several '99 Cobras have been
reporting slower 1/4 mile times than the solid axle versions (98-99 mph
vs. 101-102 mph trap speeds).  Granted, autocross is way different from
drag racing, but it gives you an idea that either the new intake isn't
all that great or the IRS is very heavy or inefficient.  Take it FWIW.
I also don't know if the IRS is the way to go only because I haven't
raced one, but doubt it would be competitive in SS.  The solid axle
version ('96-'98) was a blast and I plan on having a similar one again
as a street-only car so I can put subframes on it and not have to
comply to SP rules!  Notice I didn't even mention subframe connectors
or gears.  Oops, there I went and did it...  :-o

Overall, I think you'll probably really like the car compared to the
Integra and if it stays in FS/ESP, then I think it might be a really
good car for the class.  Then again, I'm a diehard rear drive fan so
I'm kinda biased. :-)

Good luck with it!
Tommy
Former 1996 ESP Cobra owner
Current 1987 CP Mustang owner....and loving it!!

--- Greg and Valerie Holden <gholden1@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm going a little off topic here, and I'll admit I have zero auto-x
> experience (weather destroyed
> asphalt (Brodie Mt. MA), Mother's Day and torrential downpours have
> nixed my three attempts thus
> far).
>
> I'm driving a 96 Integra GSR now. I've tinkered with the power enough
> to put me into CSP and I know
> I'll get whupped but I don't care about that. I've been thinking of
> switching to a new Mustang
> Cobra. (In which I will still get whupped, zero seat time). Am I, as
> a guy who sees 8000rpm
> regularly and likes to squeel the tires through turns ---
>
> (side note: everyone's tire pressure advice was correct. I took my
> commute's off ramp at a new
> record speed with the tires squeeling like never before and it felt
> stable, I was wrong about the
> loss of stability with higher pressure)
>
> --- going to enjoy the new Cobra as much?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg Holden

===
Tommy Regan