ABS

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: ABS
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:46:01 -0400
I started autorcrossing with an '84 944 without ABS. When I got an '89
944 Turbo I found I had to modify my threshold braking. If I braked the
same way I would engage the ABS at every corner. I found that I was
faster if I cut back a notch and never got it to engage. But I gotta say
ABS saved my ass a couple of times at my first PCA club race in the wet
at Lime Rock last year. I got into a couple of corners way too hot but I
managed to keep it on the track with this marvelous technology. I am now
an ardent believer when you are running in the wet or when you need to
make a panic stop on the highway.

I have asked a lot of racers if they use the ABS in the dry to brake and
no one so far has stated they do. They all state they have modified
their braking so it does not engage. But it sounds like SBW may. How
about it Scotty?

Paul Foster

BTW, you can still flatspot tires with ABS...