Re: ABS & FWD

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: ABS & FWD
From: whitney <whitneys@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:15:55 -0700
FWD cars tend to throw a wrench into  3 channel abs systems (2 fronts, one
rear), as a well setup FWD car will lift the inside rear tire (or at least
seriously unload it) during turn in.  This will cause that wheel to lock,
if you are trail braking, the abs will kick in, and reduce pressure in the
entire rear channel (both rear wheels).  So you lose braking on the outside
rear (the one that needs to drift a little bit).

Neons (early ES sport models)and MX-6 abs systems are some that I have
heard complaints about, as they tend to induce more push than normal at
turn in.

Stan Whitney
DP/EP CRX w/poor mans abs - no vacuum booster!
GS Talon awd - locks all 4 wheels on comand!