Re: ABS & FWD

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ABS & FWD
From: "Chris Franson" <cfranson@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1999 00:29:28 -0400
On Thursday, June 3, 1999 1:15:55 PM, whitney wrote:

>FWD cars tend to throw a wrench into  3 channel abs systems (2 fronts, one
>rear), as a well setup FWD car will lift the inside rear tire (or at least
>seriously unload it) during turn in.  This will cause that wheel to lock,
>if you are trail braking, the abs will kick in, and reduce pressure in the
>entire rear channel (both rear wheels).  So you lose braking on the outside
>rear (the one that needs to drift a little bit).
>
>Neons (early ES sport models)and MX-6 abs systems are some that I have
>heard complaints about, as they tend to induce more push than normal at
>turn in.

The Jetta GLX which seems to have started this thread (as well as its
mechanical twin, the GTIVR6) suffers from this 3-channel problem. The ABS in
these cars is downright weird on occasion. Sometimes, in a straight-line
stop, the ABS will trigger, and the pedal will be unusually firm and the car
just doesn't stop. The only solution is to quickly bail the brakes and start
over. From other empirical evidence, it seems that cranking the Konis in the
back to full firm makes the problem worse. Trail braking sometimes works,
but sometimes results in the car plowing off the outside of the corner. I've
found that I'm better off getting the braking done first and then powering
out, unless it's very smooth and grippy pavement.
Chris
'97 GTI VR6