Re: 99 mustang and Ayer Tour

To: Alek Tziortzis <alextz@comm.mot.com>
Subject: Re: 99 mustang and Ayer Tour
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 11:37:04 -0400
Alek Tziortzis wrote:
> For the ayer tour, they are doing something strange. They are running
> the open class and the respective ladies class in the same heat.  ...
> potentially, 4 drivers could drive the car (2 ladies, 2 open) in the
> SAME HEAT. Sound ridiculous to me.

I agree.  This happened at the NEDiv's two years ago at Rome too,
when I too had a three-driver entry.

I guess this seems like a good idea to some folks, especially compared
with a four-heat system, because people with one open and one ladies
entry in the same car get a break.  With the usual four heat system,
these drivers are busy all day:
        Heat 1  Open driver runs, Ladies driver helps
        Heat 2  Open driver in impound, Ladies driver works
        Heat 3  Ladies driver runs, Open driver helps
        Heat 4  Ladies driver in impound, Open driver works

That makes for a long day, I admit.  But running three or four drivers
in the same heat on a hot day makes for discomfort for those drivers,
for the car, for the grid workers, for T&S...

Mark