Wider is better?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Wider is better?
From: Heyward K Wagner <sportscar48@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:59:57 EDT
I just trashed my 1st set of G-forces and want to make sure that i make a
better choice before I drop more money.

I bought 185/60's to improve gearing and wieght.  I found that the tires
would simply and quickly give up if pushed too hard.  I am used to
driving Kumhos which seem to allow for a cushion in which the car could
be hustled a little harder than than the percieved limit.  In other words
the line that defines the limit of a g-force is much thinner than that of
a Kumho and thus it seems easier to drive a kumho at it's limit.
After buying the 185's I found that the 205 is the same hieght and close
in wieght.

What I am wondering is if the wider contact patch of the 205 would allow
for a "wider" line at the limit and thus drive a little more like the
Kumho?  Will the car break away as fast with a 205 as with a 185?

Also would a wider contact patch have a longer life?  Seems that a 205
would have less wieght per square inch of tire and could stand up to the
abuse a little better.

What would you do?  The 185's were very fast when new which makes me lean
toward the 205, but I get better wear and I am more comfortable on the
kumho.  It seems that the BFG is faster, should I suck it up and learn to
drive a new tire, or try to make the kumho work?

hKw