Re: Wider is better?

To: "Heyward K Wagner" <sportscar48@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wider is better?
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:49:17 -0400
I haven't been using race tires (not in the microscopic budget at this
time), but having run both 185s and 205 on my car, maybe I can shed some
light anyway.

>Also would a wider contact patch have a longer life?  Seems that a 205
>would have less wieght per square inch of tire and could stand up to the
>abuse a little better.

It seems that way, but after two events the outer tread bar on my front
tires (205) is nearly gone - and I don't do four wheel drifts on the street!
:)  I see your point about the weight, but the 205 is capable of supplying
more grip, and therefore, IMHO, more wear.  YMMV, of course, depending on
your driving habits and the composition of the tires, but to me it would
seem to all even out in the end.

    - Justin