Re: Braided Steel Brake Lines on 92+ cars.

To: Thomas Harrington <tomh@lvcm.com>
Subject: Re: Braided Steel Brake Lines on 92+ cars.
From: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 08:36:57 -0700
Thomas Harrington wrote:

> I saw a rule somewhere that said braided steel brake lines were allowed
> on 91 and older cars.  Is this true?

If you're talking about Stock, the answer is no.

>  If so, why only 91 and older and
> not newer cars also?  Does anyone know the history of this rule?

Yes. Prior to 1990 or so, the following items were allowed in Stock:

1. Balancing of engine components. See current SP rules. The Stock
allowance used to be identical.

2. Port matching. Ditto above.

3. Replacement of the steering wheel with one whose diamtere was no more
than 1" different than original.

4. Replacement of brake flex lines with steel braided ones.

5. Use of any battery in the original location.

As part of a move to "make Stock more stock," the above allowances were
gradually phased out. This was a Good Thing, IMHO. For a period of time,
older cars that had these items were grandfathered into the Stock
allowances. Eventually, the engine, brake and battery allowances
allowances were withdrawn altogether, leaving only the grandfathered
steering wheel rule. Non-airbag cars designated 90 model year or earlier
are still allowed a different steering wheel.

Jay