turbocars and supercars (was 'screwed again')

To: <Ghsharp@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: turbocars and supercars (was 'screwed again')
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:55:55 -0700
I can appreciate what you all are up against, having founded and operated
international sporting events myself (now in their 22nd year, I believe).

And I also am very appreciative of the decision you all made recently on the
turbo/super exhaust proposal, 'cause it's logical, and was the right thing
to do.  Thanks to all who made this decision, perhaps including you!

But this notion . . .

>As for the turbo update/backdate issue, the SEB discussed the current
>popular notion that turbochargers are a part of the intake or exhaust
>system (or both) for the purposes of the SP rules
>and decided that if this interpretation was followed to its logical
>conclusion,
>there was absolutely nothing to prevent someone with a Camaro, M3,or
whatever in SP to add a turbo to their car

. . . just doesn't make sense to me.  After all, the anecdotal evidence
indicates that you all have the power to write and rewrite the rules to
include or preclude *any* item of equipment, as specificallly or generally
as you deem fit.

I mean, the most recent correction to '99's Section 14.10.C in FasTrack (OK,
so I borrowed a copy today) specifically inserted the words "superchargers"
and "added" to give this result:  "Turbochargers [and superchargers] may not
be [added,] changed, or modified".  This new rule does exactly that -- it
"prevents someone with a Camaro . . . in SP to add a turbo to their car".

The "update/backdate turbos only as components of complete engines" or words
to that effect, rule, I'm not aware of being published for competitor
commentary (not that I claim to be privy to all such publications).
Nevertheless, it became a rule.  Bet it would have had a lot of constructive
comment otherwise.  ;)

However, though I see the logic of those who argue that the turbo is part of
the exhaust system (at least one end is certainly stuck right into it)
logically we can't think of it that way.  It makes sense that they be
subject to different levels of scrutiny than tube headers, 'cause turbos are
really a separate engine, with an exhaust system, an inlet system, an oiling
system, manifolding, a cooling system, compression ratios, and changeable
components that significantly change their performance, like cams and
pistons do.

Damn, put wheels on 'em, and we could have another autox class, long as we
didn't insist on having drivers!  :)  (Naw, it's been done, believe it or
not, though not in autox).

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com
San Diego, California, USA

1986 Ford Mustang SVO 1C - 180,000 Miles
Now prepping for CP Autox
Member #001 VirtualTeamSVO (VTSVO)

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan 3J - Original Owner/Restored
At the San Diego Automotive Museum through 01/00