RE: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: <Ghsharp@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: "Brian Fitzpatrick" <bfitz1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:39:12 -0500
Mr. Sharp,

Your response does not seem related to the update/backdate issue.  I have no
problem with the rule change to 14.10.C that clarifies that turbochargers
may not be added.  However, the issue at hand is a simple backdate.  The
only reason for the "popular notion" of a turbocharger being part of the
intake/exhaust system was that a few of the ponycar contingency were
claiming that the turbo was a component of the engine.  It clearly is not.
The reason I can change the turbo on my DSM is because it is a legal
update/backdate.

The update/backdate rule already states that unauthorized modifications may
not be made to facilitate the update/backdate.  This alone is enough to
prohibit any extreme, unintended turbo update/backdate.  The difference
between the two DSM turbos is not that large, as they were both designed to
work with the same 2.0L motor.  The turbine bolt pattern is identical, and I
can use the pre-95 oil/coolant lines.  One is slightly better for slower
courses, and the other is slightly better for faster courses.

Please remove this new update/backdate restriction and let things play out
in ESP for now.  The DSM cars are also very popular and are becoming more
popular with the import craze.  At the first Midwest Divisional event, 6 of
13 entries were DSM's.  If it's proven than the DSM's are overdogs, then
reclass them, but don't make another a turbo-only restriction.

Brian Fitzpatrick
'97 Eagle Talon AWD - ESP