Re: Urgent! Will McKamey eat my tires?

To: "Steven N. Burkett" <sburkett@ooi.com>
Subject: Re: Urgent! Will McKamey eat my tires?
From: Robert Glover <rob@f-body.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Steven N. Burkett wrote:

> I'm preregistered for McKamey at Evansville, and need to send my check
> today.  But a horrifying thought occured to me!  I'm driving my "race car"
> the three hours to Evansville, then planning to run 40+ runs at McKamey,
> followed by the actual event.
>
> I have to do all this on my street tires (Firestone Firehawk 225/50ZR16,
> fairly new - <10,000 street miles, 6 autocross heats)
>
> Will I be able to get home on them?  Or will I cord them halfway through
> the weekend.  Am I thinking too much?

What surface is the school on?  The concrete course I ran it on back in
March (or whatever month it was) at Mather in Sacramento was pretty
abbrasive, and wore about three to four 32nds of tread off my fairly hard
Falken FK04G (Z-rated) tires.  Not that I care, the tires were horrible.
Still, they're still good for a while.

Realistically, you'll probably be fine, but if you're on concrete, odds
are you'll need new tires within a few months.  If oyu're on asphalt it
won't be bad at all.

Rob