Re: Urgent! Will McKamey eat my tires?

To: sburkett@ooi.com
Subject: Re: Urgent! Will McKamey eat my tires?
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:48:06 EDT
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:38:19 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Steven N. Burkett"

<<Sorry for all the questions lately, but my first National Tour event has a
me a bit flummoxed.  Thanks to everyone who has answered my other dumb
questions.  Now for one more...>>

Only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

<<I'm preregistered for McKamey at Evansville, and need to send my check
today.  But a horrifying thought occured to me!  I'm driving my "race car"
the three hours to Evansville, then planning to run 40+ runs at McKamey,
followed by the actual event.>>

The drive there, and the 10,000 miles already on them is no issue at all, BUT
the 30 runs your car will make atthe McKamey will be hard on them. My
gilfriend corded out her street tires taking the McKamey at MGA earlier this
year. Phase 1 will eat the left front. Rotate your tires as each session
changes, and you may keep them alive, but street tires with tall tread blocks
are not going to like the abuse. If you have access to another set of tires,
you may want to run them. Race tires with shorter blocks hold up far better.
For my girlfriend, we swapped her tires around and she is still using them on
the street, but the one on the rear litterally has some steel belt sticking
out of the shoulder. She is now racing my car on race tires, so we are
looking for some cheap all seasons to put on hers, it won't be racing any
more. Once you run on real race tires, streets are no longer fun.

Gary M.