Re: MR2 Bolts and Porsche Tensioners

To: "Matt Murray" <mattm@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: MR2 Bolts and Porsche Tensioners
From: Rex Tener <rex@marimba.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:10:07 -0700
At 09:54 PM 6/17/99 -0400, Matt Murray wrote:
>But as I think about it more, the bolts are only a suggestion to"help"
>bring a car into an alignment spec. They are not required. The
>original bolts are available, and the thinner ones that give more
>camber are an option. Sounds the same as the tensioner. The original
>is available, but you can use the updated tensioner. This seems
>inconsistent.

Hi Matt,

The difference is there is a specific allowance for manufacturer TSB crash
bolts and the resulting alignment, even if it is outside the manufacturer's
suggested range of adjustment.

Section 13.8

If authorized by the manufacturer, the use of shims, special bolts, removal
of material to enlarge mounting holes, and similar methods are allowed and
the resulting alignment settings are permitted even if outside the normal
specification or range of specifications recommended by the manufacturer.
If enlarging mounting holes is specifically authorized but no material
removal limits are specified, material removal is restricted to the amount
necessary to achieve the maximum factory alignment specification.

Rex "I think I answered this one the last time it came up" Tener
rex@marimba.com