Re: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: richj50@bit-net.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:31:06 EDT
In a message dated 6/17/99 9:18:40 PM EST, richj50@bit-net.com writes:

> It sounds like you are saying that a backdated turbo is and always has been
> illegal in SP, not just as of 1/1/2000.  I think this needs to be clarified
> if that's not what you meant before an ESP DSM'er (most likely Fedja J.
> IMHO) trophies at the 1999 Nationals and then finds himself unexpectedly
> the target of a protest based on the backdated turbo.
>
> Rich Johnston
> 95 Z28 ESP

The very first paragraph in the Foreword of the rulebook reads in part:

...."The SCCA reserves the right to revise these rules, to issue supplements
to them, and publish special rules at any time at it's sole descretion.
Changes of this nature will normally become effective upon publication in
SportsCar Magazine; but may become effective immediately in emergency
situations as determined by SCCA."   (The italics are not mine, they're
in the book)

And a little further down the same page:

..."In order to promote the sport of automotive competition, to achieve
prompt finality in competition results, and in consideration of the numerous
benefits to them, all participants, including competitors and officials,
expressly agree that:

1.    They are familiar with the Solo I & II Rules and agree to abide by
them"......

Being familiar with the rules, what a concept!

Folks, this is why you're required to have a Solo II Rulebook in your hand
when you register at a National Tour or at the Solo II Nationals.  Did you
think the SCCA only wanted to sell you one, pocket your money, and never
cared whether you ever read any of it or not?  How many of the questions
that I and others have taken the time to answer in this forum_just_today_
could have been answered by looking in the rulebook?  And not just the
paragraph you think answers your question, but the entire section of the
book that applies to your chosen Category, so you can see if your
interpretation really fits in context with the whole section?

All here who have read the Solo I & II Rulebook cover to cover, please
raise your hands........I thought so.

GHS