Re: H & T revisited

To: "Brad Moriarty" <Brad_Moriarty@prospectus-ma.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: H & T revisited
From: "richard nichols" <rnichol1@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:49:20 -0700
Though I make no pretenses at being a world-class autoxer, I will claim to
be pretty fair at so-called "heel and toe" on the street and on the track.

I use the left edge of my shoe/foot for the brake, and press straight down
(towards the floor) as lightly or as hard as required.

I use the right edge of my shoe/foot for the throttle, and tilt my shoe/foot
towards the floor as much or as little as required, to get the revs (by ear)
that I need.

Didn't make this up, of course, the Ford Mustang (4 Foxes to date) and Honda
(many Civics and Accords) cars that I drive/drove are set up this way from
the factory, even with the automatics in the case of the Honda at least.

In the case of my dated Pinto, I had to make up a special gas pedal to make
this possible (using a modified "Maidenform strategy":  Lifts & Closes vs
Lifts & Separates).  And I understand from Mathis' book on Mustangs, that a
popular change to make this technique easier on standard Mustangs is to use
the automatic brake pedal lever on the sticks to form the equivalent of the
Mustang SVO stickshift setup (which is what I autox).

My point being, that if your car is set up with the pedals far enough apart,
or at a different plane, that the technique I described above doesn't work,
then you would change either the brake pedal, the throttle pedal, or both.
Street Prepared specifically allows this (didn't note what class you're in)
under 14.2.I and the update/backdate rule.  And I recall some other classes
do the same, one way or another.

'Course the real secret is a turbocar, with 300#/ft of torque completely in
by the time you reach 3000 rpm, and a second gear effective ratio of 8:1
(2nd gear X rear axle ratio).   Then ya dinna havta shift outa second
a'tall.   ;]  ;]  ;]

Richard Nichols
rnichol1@san.rr.com

                1986 Ford Mustang SVO 1C
       Member #001 VirtualTeamSVO (VTSVO)

1972 Ford Pinto Sedan 3J - Original Owner/Restored
           At the San Diego Automotive Museum