Re: re : MR2 Bolts and Porsche Tensioners

To: Tesec@compuserve.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: re : MR2 Bolts and Porsche Tensioners
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 11:06:59 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/99 8:52:03 AM EST, Tesec@compuserve.com writes:

> OK, then how about the Camaro aluminum 1LE driveshafts which are
>  ALLOWED to be installed due to a TSB but not required? That does
>  not seem consistent.

I've never seen the actual TSB for the wording.  Never had a reason to look
for it since no one has ever protested a car at Nationals over this item,
therefore it's never been ruled on.  If the rest of the car has been updated
to 1LE specs, the TSB wouldn't apply.

There are lots of things that people have done to their cars that may or may
not be legal according to the rulebook.  Often a question over a part is not
resolved until it is protested at a National event and makes its way to the
SEB through the appeal process.  Why can't we determine the legality in
advance?  Because if you write a letter to the SEB offering evidence that
your part is legal and you are later protested, the protesting party may
come up with additional information from the manufacturer that you were
not aware of, and which would result in our ruling the part illegal.  The
reply
you will get is that "the SEB believes that this part is legal, based on the
information you have given us.  However, this does not preclude someone
else bringing additional information during a protest that might prove your
information incorrect."

It's still a competitor-policed sport.

GHS