H & T revisited

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: H & T revisited
From: "Brad Moriarty" <Brad_Moriarty@prospectus-ma.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:27:10 -0400

I don't mean to disappoint here with a non-rule based question, but I've
been trying the Heel and Toe business since the thread several weeks ago
and I need some assistance from the collective intelligence out there:

I can do it on the street quite well, matching revs etc. and thought I
would be all set to apply it on the course but I've encountered a few
problems that only seem to arise at 10/10ths.

On the street I'm not applying maximum breaking force so I can press the
throttle open with the side of my foot and simply slide my foot over, off
of the brake onto the throttle so my foot is in the typical position on
each pedal most of the time.

On the course, at maximum braking force, my pressure on the brake pedal
makes it very difficult to effect the "slide" so I end up releasing the
brake by twisting my foot, pressing down with the throttle side and lifting
up with the brake side.

This feels pretty weird as I end up driving through the corner with the
side of my foot pressing on the throttle until I can lift and reposition.

When I try and force my foot to slide over at 10/10ths I end up releasing
the brake very sharply and over doing it on the throttle which unsettles my
softly sprung car and makes the down-shift go as smoothly as Skippy
Superchunk.

Clearly I'm new to this so any advice on technique would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

`97 528i