Re: Rear Trunk Mat ? (was front swaybar)

To: BrunnerW@dnb.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Trunk Mat ? (was front swaybar)
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 18:42:24 EDT
BrunnerW@dnb.com writes:

<<
 Please excuse my ignorance but I'm new to the list and the sport. But what
 is/was the "rear trunk mat clarification" ? >>

Somebody got protested for not having their spare tire/trunk mat in place,
was a Neon I believe (I'll leave the name out of it).  Up until that time
most people removed the trunk mat along with spare tire and tools, but the
rulebook never stated that it was OK to do so.  A clarification was issued
stating that it was OK to remove the trunk mat so long as it was loose; i.e.
wasn't held in place by factory-supplied fasteners (some trunk mats are held
in place by a fastening system, RX-7TT mat comes to mind).  Why should some
vehicles get to remove an item, and others not?  The overall outlook appears
to be that loose items are removable (floormats, owners manuals, trunk mats)
while fixed or fastened items (brackets, trim, etc) are not.

Point:  If the factory didn't originally supply a brace between the front
swaybar pivot points, I seriously doubt that it would be considered
Stock-legal to add one, or to modify the original factory-supplied swaybar
mounting extension brackets.  Almost all vehicles have their factory-supplied
quirks and deficiencies.  With a few exceptions (12" wheels come to mind),
the general overall SEB stance seems to be that if you choose to run a
particular vehicle you have to live with the manufacturer-based deficiencies
(weak posi rearend, weak power steering hoses, etc) as well as the strengths
(crash bolts, etc).

M Sipe