Re: Rear Trunk Mat ? (was front swaybar)

To: "team net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Trunk Mat ? (was front swaybar)
From: "Robert & Katherine Seamon" <forestg@ionet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:27:13 -0500
Warning!!! Long, Stock Class, and Weanie Protest related!!!

Who's ever seen a spare tire cover (mat) that was could be defined 100% as
"loose"?
Every one I've ever seen has had a screw (a single wingnut in the center), a
strap with clasps, or some kind of Velcro/hook-and-loop fastener that held
it in place.  Manufacturers wouldn't want them to be 100% loose because
they'd slide around back there and make noises people don't like to hear in
their cars.

So does the "spirit of the rule" define loose as not have some kind of
permanent holder in place, like a hinge or something?  What does the RX-7
fastening system look like?  I had a Celica that used straps to hold the mat
in place, but the whole deal was 100% removable.  No hinge or hint that
anything was ever in the well in the back.

I ask these questions because I take mine out of my ZX2 and it only has like
2 square inches of hook-and-loop that keep the mat from sliding around.
Does hook-and-loop from the maker count as a "permanent" fastener?

Of course if I wanted to be sneaky (read cheat) I'd just take the
hook-and-loop off the mat and car frame and claim that the mat was always
loose since I got it. :)  Can't do that now because too many people in my
Region read Team.Net! Hehehe.  Plus I have to beat someone to make them want
to protest me.  I wasn't protested at Nationals last year and I ran with it
out.  I only beat 1 or 2 people though :(

Weanie protest comes to mind, but a protest is a protest if the stewards(or
whatever we call them in Solo) have to DQ you because the rule says so.

Rob Seamon
#3 '98 ZX2

It was written:
<<<it was OK to remove the trunk mat so long as it was loose;
i.e.
wasn't held in place by factory-supplied fasteners (some trunk mats are
held
in place by a fastening system, RX-7TT mat comes to mind).  >>>