Re: DIY alignment RX-7

To: cs75@netscape.net
Subject: Re: DIY alignment RX-7
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:35:36 EDT
Date: 22 Jun 99 10:54:18 EDT
From: Curtis Strilchuk  wrote:

<< I've embarked on a DIY alignment with my '86 RX-7. This car has a
semi-trailing arm rear suspension and subframe. My problem is I'm measuring
.5 degree more neg. camber on the driver's side rear wheel as compared to the
pass. side. I'm getting -1.25 vs. -.75 degrees. Car is shimmed up level, on
slip plates. The camber adjustment is a vertical link that tilts the rear
subframe and affects both sides equally. I don't know what demons I should
chase. Can anyone 'point' a suspension set-up newbie in the right direction
  : (   ?

Thanks in advance, >>

In my 83 Celica GT-S I had a similar problem when I lined it up. To get the
camber to match from side to side I had to shim the sub frame that the
trailing arms bolt to. In my case it was only bolted to the body of the car
with two large bolts and bushings. I just added alignment shims between the
bushing and the body on the side of the car with too much camber. I ended up
with about 5/16 inch stacked up on the one side. BUT it is very possible this
might be considered illegal in SP and most surely would be protested in
Stock. Unfortunately I have not found another way of dealing with this on
basic trailing arm suspension. The second gen RX-7 has toe and camber
compensating links, but I still don't think they have any adjustments. To
have a .5 degree error, there is probably something bent. Mine was only about
.3 degrees off, and the car has been crashed. To make sure your car is
sitting right, measure the length of the rear shocks, make sure they are the
same. If not, balancing the corner loads may help out. Proper corner
balancing can help alot.

Gary M.