Re: DIY alignment RX-7

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: DIY alignment RX-7
From: "Burns, James B." <BurnsJB1@central.SSD.JHUAPL.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:10:42 -0400
Curtis Strilchuk wrote:

>>I've embarked on a DIY alignment with my '86 RX-7. This car has a
semi-trailing arm rear suspension and subframe. My problem is I'm measuring
.5
degree more neg. camber on the driver's side rear wheel as compared to the
pass. side. I'm getting -1.25 vs. -.75 degrees. Car is shimmed up level, on
slip plates. The camber adjustment is a vertical link that tilts the rear
subframe and affects both sides equally. I don't know what demons I should
chase. Can anyone 'point' a suspension set-up newbie in the right direction
:(
 ?<<
<<<<

Is your car lowered?  It is my experience that all 2nd gen. RX7s have this
problem when lowered.  It sounds as if you have the adjustable rear camber
compensator link.  This will get your rear camber back to a reasonable value
after lowering the car, but it doesn't really affect both sides equally.  On
my ITS class '87 RX7 I have about -1.75 degrees right and -2.25 degrees
left.  Since the tracks I race on have mostly right hand turns, this isn't
such a bad thing.  The only way I know of to fix it is to install adjustable
rear control links (the 'dogbones' at the inboard front of the rear lower
control arms) which will allow you to adjust the left and right sides
separately.  But these adjustable links are longer than the stock ones, so
they will actually increase your negative camber and it might be hard to get
it back to where you want it.  I think Racing Beat makes these adjustable
links, and I believe MazdaComp sells them too.

Brad Burns
'91 MR2T, A-stock
'87 RX7, ITS