RE: in-car camera

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: in-car camera
From: Gent Matthew-EMG030 <Matthew_Gent-EMG030@email.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 10:06:20 -0400

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:54:18 -0500
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Subject: Using a in-car camera (Was: How does a region foster

At 06:23 PM 6/23/99 , Hottvr@aol.com wrote:
>Since I started out in Autox in a C-Mod car having someone ride with me is
>not an option. So when I first got the car I started working on using an
>onboard camera.  This has worked very well.
>But I don't think most on Team.Net really realize what the in car camera
>can do for you.

On that note, let me ask some questions...

This last weekend, I took my first stab at using an on-board camera.
First thing I know... I need to get the wide-angle lens attachment.
At the widest setting, I can't even get both A-pillars on the screen.
And I'd think you'd want even wider than that so that you can see
around the corners.  True??  The disadvantage will be the distorted
perspective -- things will appear further away than reality, making
it harder to judge what you should've done.  Comments?

Another thing, is I need to figure out how to mount the camera a bit
higher in the car.  Preferably exactly my eye level.  The lower
perspective reduced how useful I've found the tape.

Beyond that, I am having difficulty learning a whole lot... other than
things I think "maybe I should've tried X, it might be faster".  Problem
is, I'd need 40 runs to try all the possible ways.  Any advice on how
to leverage the tape... how to learn from it... what I should be looking
at or for??????  Other advice?

Thanks,

Brian

In my GSR I set up the camera mount on the passenger side headrest.  I went
to the junkyard (ummmm pre-owned auto savior) to scavenge a headrest, cut
off the posts, ran an aluminum angle across, and bolted a universal (Bogen,
strong) camera mount to it.

It gives the exact view of the driver, just from the other seat.  Looks
clean, I get lots of comments, and I've actually thought about making a
handful and selling them.

As for the wide-angle thing, same problem.  I get about 3/4 of the GSR
windshield in view.  It works great for solo1 or any relatively straight
autocross course, but not for tight, twisting ones.  One of our venues is an
out-and-back setup, where the width of the section is no more than 30 yards
each side.  Another I've run twisted back and forth like a snake, and you
never saw the cones.

Are there wide-angle lenses available for Sony HandyCam type cameras?  That
would be great, I would trade the depth perception for the width in a
minute.  Any idea of cost?

Matt