RE: in-car camera

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: in-car camera
From: mikelowe@pop.c-com.net
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:33:23 +0000
> From:          Gent Matthew-EMG030 <Matthew_Gent-EMG030@email.mot.com>

> Are there wide-angle lenses available for Sony HandyCam type cameras?  That
> would be great, I would trade the depth perception for the width in a
> minute.  Any idea of cost?

     I called several camera places in my area looking for a wide
angle lens for my Sony camera.  No dice.  I wound up driving 30+
miles into Houston to visit a camera "co-op" store.
     I spent well over an hour looking through miscellaneous bins for
lenses and adapters.  I eventually wound up with a HUGE (IIRC, 62 mm)
lens with two adapters to get it to work on the Sony.  IIRC, the Sony
is 37 mm.
     Now I can film the whole windshield, the dash, the fixed "vent"
windows (what are they called nowadays?), and the shifter.  I
actually angle the camera _down_ about 15 degrees to avoid getting a
great shot of the windshield header.  If the lens was wider, I could
film behind me!  Oh yeah, I _did_ hit that cone.  :-)

After all that hassle in May, I'm sure Sony has just introduced a
wide angle lens.  :-[  Might as well give them a call.

Mike Lowe    mikelowe@phoenix.net    http://www.phoenix.net/~mikelowe
'96 Miata R (B Stock autocrosser)
'94 Miata (future turbo car)