Re: Bigger is better; was P5 in Harrisburg (Hoosier tires on Miata)

To: greendot@excelonline.com, gs96@sgi.net, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bigger is better; was P5 in Harrisburg (Hoosier tires on Miata)
From: TeamZ3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 19:27:39 EDT
greendot@excelonline.com writes:

<< I advocated years ago that the SS guys should be running 315
 Hoosiers on 9.5" wheels but couldn't get anybody to step up and
 be a star :).   >>

I think the concensus would be that 315 Hoosier on a 9.5 would be OK.  Going
1/2" under recommended min. rim width is considered to be within reason for
somebody who has a proper vehicle setup and is an experienced driver.  It
might not be recommended for someone with a less than optimum vehicle setup
or is prone to overdriving an ill-handling vehicle.

The original comment regarding bigger vs. better centered on running a 225
Hoosier on a 6" Miata rim.  That's 1" under recommended min. width for the
tire on a fairly light vehicle.  The latest 3S03 Hoosier radial seems to
*very* much more tolerant of this than the earlier versions, its just not
considered to be optimum or an additional performance advantage relative to
the design of the tire according to my source.

Of course the hard part is always trying to figure out what was most
responsible for running superior times; the particular driver, the particular
tires, the particular vehicle, the weather, the course surface, the alignment
of the stars, the combination of all the factors, etc.

M Sipe