Bigger is better; was P5 in Harrisburg (Hoosier tires on Miata)

To: "Brian Priebe" <priebe.4@osu.edu>, <TeamZ3@aol.com>
Subject: Bigger is better; was P5 in Harrisburg (Hoosier tires on Miata)
From: "Kent Rafferty" <gs96@sgi.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:25:38 -0400
So what's up with the SS Corvette running 315x35x17s
(Kumhos?) on 9.5" rims (min. rec. rim is 10")?  The car seems
to work pretty well (fastest Vette at the Harrisburg Pro?) and
everyone who's driven that car says it works with the big
rubber.  I watched the car and it LOOKED like it worked :-)

Somebody stop me before I try 315x35s on the front of my
car......

Kent Rafferty
SS Vette

>> I'd like to add that Hoosier autocross experts are recommending
>>the 205 over the 225 for stock Miata applications, but it's hard to
>>convince some that  bigger isn't necessarily better.
>> M Sipe
>
>You are correct on convincing people, bigger is not better
>theory.  Everyone got use to oversizing to help make BFGs become
>more numb and easier to drive, which made people go faster more
>consitently.  Just my theory, boy I can feel an attack coming!!  A few
>people that I knew tested the 225 vs 205 set up on a neon turned the same
times on both, they just could be on the fast time about every