Newbie/Novice

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie/Novice
From: "jamnvr6" <Orion@tranquility.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:56:48 -0500
Hello all. Before I make a complete fool of myself in my first autox, I was
wondering if I could get a few questions answered first.

First off, I do have a rather heavy car, at least compared to stock cars of
the same make. I have a '98 VW GTI VR6 with a rather large stereo. Yeah I
know what you're thinking..SLOW SLOW. I have yet to have the car weighed
because I can't find a shop that could do this. Is anyone here from the
Kansas City area that can reccomend a place? And a place to get a dyno?

My second question is what sort of course should I expect? I have never been
to an autocross before so I have no idea what's involved. All I know is that
I love driving my car, and to really drive it the way I'd like to, requires
a track. Otherwise the police will be pulling me over/ticketing me way too
often.

The last question I had is what sort of class would I fall into? The
modifications to my car include an AMS Supercharger (Vortech), Schrick VGI
(manifold), and Quaife limited slip differential. I suspect my car would
dyno (w/ 17" wheels) around 285HP @ the wheels. Considering the extra weight
in my car (probably the same as 4 people in the car), would I still be
paired with cars with comparable mods and or HP? Would I get some sort of
handicap? How does it work?

TIA,
Mike M.