Re: Newbie/Novice

To: jamnvr6 <Orion@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie/Novice
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:55:13 -0700

jamnvr6 wrote:

> Hello all. Before I make a complete fool of myself in my first autox, I was
> wondering if I could get a few questions answered first.

Some of the most intelligent questions I have seen from a novice. Most
folks do the complete fool part first...THEN ask questions. 8-)

> First off, I do have a rather heavy car, at least compared to stock cars of
> the same make. I have a '98 VW GTI VR6 with a rather large stereo. Yeah I
> know what you're thinking..SLOW SLOW. I have yet to have the car weighed
> because I can't find a shop that could do this. Is anyone here from the
> Kansas City area that can reccomend a place? And a place to get a dyno?

I think that in autocross, weight is not that big a factor as you might
think. Sure, it matters, but there are far larger factors at work,
mainly driver ability, tires, car alignment and setup, followed by
torque and then weight. That would be my list anyways.

I would not worry or even think about your car's weight or hp at this
point. That stuff matters more in a 1/4 mile.

> My second question is what sort of course should I expect? I have never been
> to an autocross before so I have no idea what's involved. All I know is that
> I love driving my car, and to really drive it the way I'd like to, requires
> a track. Otherwise the police will be pulling me over/ticketing me way too
> often.

Exactly! (Spoken as someone who lost his license at 19).  8-)

Courses tend to depend on the region, but often are around a 2nd gear
for most stock cars, sometimes dipping back to 1st or up into 3rd. There
are some elements thrown in, such as offset gates, chicanes, turns,
sweepers, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about these things. Just show
up, find someone to help you (that is easy), or if the region offers a
novice training session, take it.

Walk the course and learn where you need to go. TRY to memorize it. The
ability to see where you need to go in a sea of cones is a skill you
learn. It is harder at speed and you are sitting lower and you are busy
with the car. If you a mistake on course, don't worry about. Let it go
and concentrate on the next thing. Try not to "save" a run. It's all
practice.

In your quest for knowledge, look at the autocross.com website. It has
some great links to the Novice Handbook and FAQ.
http://autocross.com/autoc/index.htm

> The last question I had is what sort of class would I fall into? The
> modifications to my car include an AMS Supercharger (Vortech), Schrick VGI
> (manifold), and Quaife limited slip differential. I suspect my car would
> dyno (w/ 17" wheels) around 285HP @ the wheels. Considering the extra weight
> in my car (probably the same as 4 people in the car), would I still be
> paired with cars with comparable mods and or HP? Would I get some sort of
> handicap? How does it work?

The above website also has a link to the classing info. Also look at:
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/ for more on the classing rules.

But, the basic answer is that you should not be concerned about it.
Because of your mods, you are going to be classed where you will be
spanked by a well set up car. However, as a novice, you will be spanked
anyways. Some regions allow you to run in an unclassed class (We have an
X class) so you run against your own time. In any event, you are running
against your own time anyways, even in your class.

In some regions, your class may be lightly subscribed and you may
dominate a field of one car! Or, you will be 10 seconds behind the local
hotshoe. If that is the case, set your goals on being 9 seconds back the
next run.

The most important thing to stress and what is often hard to remember is
to have fun and learn. In the heat of competition, I find I have to keep
reminding myself of those two points.

You are off to a good start.

Randy Chase
San Diego Region
'91 MR2 CS (also heavy and underpowered....but we don't let that get in
the way)