Re: Newbie/Novice

To: jamnvr6 <Orion@tranquility.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie/Novice
From: rikracer <rikracer@cwix.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 13:18:56 -0700
----- Original Message -----
From: jamnvr6 <Orion@tranquility.net>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 26, 1999 11:56 AM
Subject: Newbie/Novice

> Hello all. Before I make a complete fool of myself in my first autox, I
was
> wondering if I could get a few questions answered first.
>
> First off, I do have a rather heavy car, at least compared to stock cars
of
> the same make. I have a '98 VW GTI VR6 with a rather large stereo. Yeah I
> know what you're thinking..SLOW SLOW. I have yet to have the car weighed
> because I can't find a shop that could do this. Is anyone here from the
> Kansas City area that can reccomend a place? And a place to get a dyno?
>
> My second question is what sort of course should I expect? I have never
been
> to an autocross before so I have no idea what's involved. All I know is
that
> I love driving my car, and to really drive it the way I'd like to,
requires
> a track. Otherwise the police will be pulling me over/ticketing me way too
> often.

Most courses are like minature road courses, defined by pylons/cones, laid
out
in large parking lots or unused portions of airports.  Generally these
courses
favor car handling and driver skill more than horsepower and are mostly 2nd
gear in most cars (although I don't know specifically what size lots are
available
in the KC area)

> The last question I had is what sort of class would I fall into? The
> modifications to my car include an AMS Supercharger (Vortech), Schrick VGI
> (manifold), and Quaife limited slip differential. I suspect my car would
> dyno (w/ 17" wheels) around 285HP @ the wheels. Considering the extra
weight
> in my car (probably the same as 4 people in the car), would I still be
> paired with cars with comparable mods and or HP? Would I get some sort of
> handicap? How does it work?

This is the bad news, the engine mods would put you in Modified class (D Mod
I think)
against purpose built cars which are basically stripped to minimum weight,
are on slicks
and lots of HP.  At least you have a blower so you don't have turbo lag.

> TIA,
> Mike M.

Rick Brown
AP 240Z