Re: tires again!!!! Toyo RA-1?

To: Brad Cox <coxb@trimofran.org>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tires again!!!! Toyo RA-1?
From: "D. Engelhaupt" <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 07:34:27 -0700 (PDT)
Brad,

Where are you located?  Here in the D.C. area there is a dealer in
Silver Springs Maryland that will meet or beat any of TireRack's
prices.  I bought my Toyo T-1 Pluses from him.  He races a Miata and
knows a lot about race tires.  Toyo's are comparable in price to the
Kumho's (at least in Miata sizes).  My T-1's are very grippy for a
street tire and wear like iron (despite my aggressive driving style).
>From what I've heard about the RA-1, they wear very well but that they
might not be as "grippy" as the Kumho's.  Of course people's opinions
vary depending on which tire they currently running. ;)  When I
queried the guy at Radial Tire in Silver Springs about tires he said
that the Hoosiers were the grippiest followed by the G-Force, then
Kumho, then RA-1.  Take all of that with a grain of salt since
different tires work better on different cars and we were talking
Miata specifics.  I don't know what kind of price the local dealer in
your area quoted you on the RA-1s, but the price I was quoted was in
line with Tirerack's prices on Kumho's for the same sizes.  Toyo's are
very high quality tires and in the Miata community very highly regarded.

===
Derek Engelhaupt
Customer Engineer
Hewlett Packard
'97 White Mazda Miata
Odenton, MD

It is sad to grow old but nice to ripen
--Brigitte Bardot

---Brad Cox <coxb@trimofran.org> wrote:

> Sorry to rehash what's probably a weekly subject.  I haven't seen
much info
> on Toyo's race tires.  I know they've been mentioned in the past,
but I
> didn't save the emails.  I've suddenly found myself interested in
them due
> to some of the sizes available.  According to their site, the RA-1's
have a
> treadwear rating of 40.  Are they comparable to Kumho's in terms of
stick
> and tread life?
>
> Also, I've had some trouble locating a dealer.  Found a local one
here in
> town, but wanted to do some price comparisons since he seemed rather
high.
> Anyone know of a mail order place that sells Toyo?  I know that
Tirerack and