RE: Mounting used Kumhos inside out?

To: Gary_Lingertot@amsinc.com, "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Mounting used Kumhos inside out?
From: "B. Vibert" <blur@ican.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:53:17 -0400

> I just bought set of used 245/45-16 Kumho V700s (thanks Greg) that I'm
> mounting on my 16x8's. They're more worn on the outside than the inside.
> I've think I've read that the Kumhos have an asymmetrical tread, so they
> can be mounted in any direction. Does this simply mean that the direction
> of rotation can be reversed from that labelled on the sidewall (i.e. you
> can rotate the tires all the way around), or does it actually mean that I
> can mount them with the fresh side out?  I'm a bit reluctant to ignore both
> sidewall indicators (direction of rotation AND this side out) unless I get
> some feedback from the experts. However I'd love to extend the tire life by
> mounting them in this manner.

Hi Gary:

Apart from the labeling which you can probably ignore if the tread is worn down
enough, if you do this you will be taking a tire with worn in negative camber
and putting it on the other way. This means you now have a tire with  positive
camber. It will only ride on the outside edge of tread unless your car has lots
of negative camber. They will be very slow until they wear evenly again. Did
anyone understand that? :-)

Don't ask me how I know.

Burl Vibert
83 911SC