Canadian Rules

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Canadian Rules
From: "Farzaan Kassam" <fkassam@direct.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:35:27 -0700
>The reason I ask is that last night someone posted some results from a
>Canadian/American race and there was a link to the rules for their Stock
and
>Super Stock (Canadian version of SP) rules.
>
>I kinda like their more real world realistic points system of allowed
>modifications for the two "lower" classes.  Gee I wish I could remember
that
>URL right about now.

Not only are they more real world, but the classes and points system are
also turbo friendly.  You turn the boost up, you take 2pts, you add more
fuel, you take another 2pts, you change the turbo, you add another 4pts.
You are allowed a certain number of points per level, stock is 1pt,
superstock is 6pts, streetprepared is like 15pts and mod is SKY IS THE
LIMIT.  So, turn up the boost, run in superstock, add some fuel to go with
the boost, stay in superstock, change the turbo, move to streetprepared.
Much better than having to run my 300hp 3200lb 944 Turbo in B/Prepared or
E/Mod against 600hp 2200lb Corvettes on slicks wider than half my car, all
because I did the sin of all sins, turn my boost up 2psi.

The only thing I don't like about our system is that it's not fully
developed yet.  The really serious guys haven't pushed all of the class's
limits yet.  For example, the class I run in is A/SS (A SuperStock) in a 944
Turbo.  We can build the car to almost 360hp at the flywheel and over
380ft-lb of torque and still be A/SS legal.  A 944S2 on the other hand can
only realistically produce 220hp within the rules running in A/SS.  While a
944S2 has great benefits over a turbo car, the mods to reach 360hp almost
completely eliminate turbo lag.  The only downside to the mods to make that
power are reliability, but if your pockets are deep, you can upset the class
pretty good.

The other thing I don't like about our system is our indexes.  We give women
a break on their indexed times which I think is very wrong.  We had Karen
Babb, Annie Gil, Elise Leyland and Carol Leuty down here and they showed
that women do not need any concessions when it comes to indexing their
times.  If a guy runs a time in a class, a women should have the same index
applied to her time as a guy's time.

Farzaan.
fkassam@direct.ca