Re: Datalogger Story (long)--Response

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Datalogger Story (long)--Response
From: Streldoc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:02:37 EDT
Dennis,
      I would imagine that some of the "clunky" problems you are having with
your GEEZ software, may be from Byron trying to get the program out ASAP, for
people to start using.  Updates and changes are constantly being done and
easy to download from the extremegeez.com web site. I would imagine that
instead of bitching to the net, that a letter in person to Byron would me
much more constructive.  But alas, it seems that you must have something to
spout off about.
I have not had any serious problems with my software.
    I would like to say that the software you are talking about seems a bit
more difficult to hook up, as you have to interface with electronics in your
car.  I can take out the geez stuff and put it in another vehicle in about 5
minutes...computer included.  I would also like to say, that the computer is
important to have to review runs while waiting in grid for your next run, so
although cumbersome, I believe is important to have handy.
     The GEEZ is much better, in my opinion, as it has a course map that is
produced from the data, with braking in red and accelerating in green.  I
think it is much easier, especially for the none computer geek type,  to see
a run in picture form that shows the course just run, with graphs to the
side, instead of graphs alone.
    Please note, that your peak levels are not accurate, as a bump in the
road can produce a peak score.  0.5 second sustained values are much more
useful and reproducible.
    Overall, it seems you want something that monitors the car more, than
just the driver.  In that case the system you purchased is right for you.  In
my opinion, the average autocrosser would enjoy the GEEZ software, as it
gives you more data about your driving, than you cars engine temp,
temperature, steering angle,etc...which in my opinion is mostly useless
information for the average autocrosser.

Erik Strelnieks