Re: Possibly stupid questions about nationals

To: "Moore, John" <jmoore@spyglass.com>
Subject: Re: Possibly stupid questions about nationals
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 1999 12:53:00 -0700

"Moore, John" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
>                 I apologize in advance if these questions are just too
> stupid to ask, but the only stupid question is one not asked, correct? So
> here goes:

John, these are great questions. Some of which I *should* have asked on
my first time to Topeka.

>         For Nationals, since I don't run until Thurs/Fri (CS),and since Tech
> seems to be available on Wednesday afternoon, I assume that I don't need to
> show up until Wednesday Afternoon?

Yes...but..see below.

 Also, does anyone have any hotel
> recommendations for a hotel that is close to the event site and at a
> reasonable (<100 a night) price?

This is probably getting out of date. I had intended on continuing my
treks to Topeka yearly and keeping it up to date, but health issues have
gotten in the way (though it is looking like we have those behind us
now). But, I started a list of hotels with some notes, mainly because I
had no idea where to stay.
http://www.sandiegocrusaders.com/hotelnats.html

Now, I found that I liked staying at the sites away from Forbes Field
myself. It is a short drive, even on R tires, and there was more places
to eat. I stayed at the Fairfield Inn by Marriot and was very pleased.

>         I also assume that the same two courses are used on Thurs/Fri as are
> used on Tues/Weds, so it would seem to be advantageous to attend the
> Tues/Weds portion to get some good ideas about how people are attacking the
> courses. Do you agree?

Yes. Very much so. I also suggest walking the course a lot, something I
neglected to do (but we played volleyball!). Give yourself enough time
to check out the Wednesday runs and acclimate yourself.

I was told how big Nats was, but I did not believe it, or understand it,
until I went. It can be a little intimidating for someone the first
time.

>         Also Any words of wisdom/warnings for a newbie heading to Nationals?

Get a parking space as early as you can. Since you are coming in on
Wednesday, this may be difficult, unless you can find a vacated spot
from someone leaving Wednesday night. Otherwise, resign yourself to
driving to the concession stand to get a drink. The lot is big and
mostly reserved.

There is a lot of notes on the above website that I took after my first
time. Little details like where/how to get laundry done (tbanks Michael
Butler); and What is a Baby Dolls and why you might need dollar bills.

Randy Chase (not going this year)  8-(
91 MR2 C/S