help with low-buck mazda project

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: help with low-buck mazda project
From: Joshua L Locklear <joshlocklear@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:12:53 -0400
Hello Team.Netters,

Is there anyone out there who has some experience with first-gen RX-7's?
I just bought an 84 12A model for 200 bucks.  As far as I can tell, it
needs a new starter, needs the carb rebuilt, and needs a new clutch slave
cylinder.  My budget on this car is extremely low... I have about 200
bucks left to spend on it.  I would appreciate any advice or tips on good
low-buck mods.  I'd like to keep it stock legal, since i'll probably be
running on some crappy street tires.  I'd like to get some race tires,
but they seem to be out of my budget range at this point.  Is there
anything I can do about wheel size within the stock rules?  Were 12A
models offered with 14 inch wheels as an option, or was it part of the
GSL/GSL-SE packages?  Also, any suggestions on filters/plugs/fluids to
use would be appreciated.  There's a possibility that this car may be a
contestant in Grassroots Motorsports'  $1500 challenge... although my
budget on this car isn't even that high.  Blame it on college... i'm
broke.  Help me!

Thanks in advance,
Josh Locklear
joshlocklear@juno.com
Ohio Valley Region #24 HS '88 Toyota Camry
and now introducing "Rex," #7 CS '84 Mazda RX-7

"If the devil danced in empty pockets,
He'd have a ball in mine..." - Joe Diffie