mazda help/$1500 challenge

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: mazda help/$1500 challenge
From: Joshua L Locklear <joshlocklear@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 01:07:27 -0400
Thanks to all who've replied to my RX-7 questions.  All of you
Team.Netters are just sooo  helpful... it never fails to amaze me.  I
think I'm going to concentrate my efforts on getting the car to run
reliably, and possibly get some stickier street  tires (used?).  I have 1
week to go before our next event.  With any luck, "Rex" will make it
there.  And with more luck, he may even make it to Florida for the
Grassroots Motorsports $1500 challenge.  BTW, is anyone else thinking
about participating in the event?  It seems well-suited to the TLS/TSOL
crowd... as a $1500 car would be a good candidate for membership in both
these groups.
     For those of you who don't subscribe to GRM, the $1500 Challenge is
basically a contest to see who can build the best production-based race
car for $1500 or less.  The cars will be judged in 3 events: a drag race,
an autocross, and a concours judging.  Those who suck at autocross can
opt to have multi-time solo champ Danny Shields drive their car for them.
 All cars must be road-worthy (headlights, brakelights, mirrors, turn
signals, windshield), and can't be single-seaters or tubeframe cars.  Any
engine swaps are legal... mods are pretty much unlimited within the $1500
budget.  So far, I only have about $250 in the Mazda, so I have quite a
bit of room left.  More details are available on their website at
www.grmotorsports.com.

Thanks again,
Josh Locklear
joshlocklear@juno.com
Ohio Valley Region #24 HS '88 Toyota Camry
and now introducing "Rex,"  #7 CS '84 Mazda RX-7